Peaches, strawberries or blueberries all work brilliantly in this golden, flaky handheld pastry. Make pie dough from scratch, if you have the time, or use store-bought pie dough for a quick treat.
1 cup diced ripe strawberries or peaches or fresh blueberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Zest and juice from 1/2 a lemon
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
14-ounce package store-bought refrigerated rolled pie crusts (2 crusts)
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Coarse sanding sugar
1. Combine fruit of choice, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and juice and salt in a small sauce pot.
2. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla, and let cool.
3. Unroll pie crusts and place them on a flat work surface. Use a 4-inch round cookie/biscuit cutter or a wide-mouth drinking glass to cut circles out of the pie dough. Reroll any scraps and make additional pie dough circles.
4. Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of each circle.
5. Brush edges of dough with water and fold dough over to form half-moon shapes. Use a fork to crimp the edges, sealing well.
6. Use a sharp paring knife to cut 3 slits in the top of each hand pie to allow the steam to escape.
7. Brush the tops of the hand pies with heavy cream and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
8. Spray your air frying basket with nonstick cooking spray, then place hand pies in a single layer. Air fry at 350ºF for 13 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
Chef’s Tip: To celebrate spring, make strawberry rhubarb hand pies! Add 1/2 cup finely chopped rhubarb to the filling recipe and increase the sugar by 1/4 cup. Use any leftover filling in your morning yogurt~