This Black Bean Burger is equally delicious to vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Super satisfying and packed with southwestern flavor, pile the burgers high with creamy avocado and slather them with sauce…and you won’t miss the meat!
Two 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup bread crumbs or panko crumbs
1/2 cup fine ground yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup prepared salsa
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon adobo sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon honey
Whole wheat hamburger buns, avocado, lettuce, tomato, onion
…or your favorite toppings
1. Place three-quarters of the black beans (reserving about 1/4 cup of the beans) in the food processor and process until smooth.
2. Add the breadcrumbs, cornmeal, salsa, cumin, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Process until well combined.
3. Remove the black bean mixture and place it in a mixing bowl. Stir in the remaining black beans.
4. Form six 1/2-inch patties from the mixture and place them on a waxed paper or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate the burgers for at least 1 hour before cooking.
5. Meanwhile, place the mayonnaise in a mixing bowl. Add the adobo sauce and honey and whisk to combine. Refrigerate the sauce until ready to serve.
6. Turn your Kalorik Smokeless Grill up to high heat and turn on the fan. Brush the black bean burgers with a thin layer of olive oil and place the patties on the grill. Grill the burgers for 3 minutes per side or until golden, then cover the grill with the lid and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
7. Serve the burgers on toasted buns slathered with the chipotle mayo and your favorite toppings.