Homemade Apple Pie
We apple-solutely LOVE homemade pie! Bite into something sweet this National Apple Pie Day with this homemade apple pie recipe made in your Kalorik 22 Quart Digital Air Fryer Oven, adapted from Erin Jeanne McDowell's Book of Pie!
2 ½ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
8 ounces cold unsalted, thinly sliced
¼ -1/3 cup ice water
3 pounds green apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
¾ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon heavy cream
Turbinado sugar for dusting
1. In a large pot combine apples, lemon juice and light brown sugar. Mix well and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
2. In a small bowl combine granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Add to pot of apples and mix well. Set pot over medium heat and cook 8-10 minutes until apples have softened and the liquid has become thick. Add butter and vanilla, mix and pour into a shallow pan to cool.
3. While filling cools, combine flour, butter, and salt in a medium bowl. Using your hands smash the butter into the flour creating flat butter disks. Add ¼ cup of ice water to start, mix until the dough starts to come together, adding additional ice water 1/2 teaspoon at a time.
4. Wrap dough tightly in plastic and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
5. After chilling remove the dough from the plastic wrap, lightly dust your work surface with flour cut the dough ball in half and one at a time, roll the dough into two large circles 1/8th of an inch in thickness and wide enough to cover the base of your pie pan. Lay bottom crust into the pie pan and fill with cooled filling. Tap on the table several times to knock out any air bubbles.
6. Lay the second round of pie dough over the top of the pie and trim any overhanging crust using a small, sharp knife. Using a fork crimp together the top and bottom crusts around the edge all the way around the crust. Using the sharp knife, slice several vents into the top crust.
7. Place assembled pie uncovered into the fridge for 30 minutes.
8. Preheat your Kalorik 22 Quart Digital Air Fryer Oven to 400F.
9. Add 1 tablespoon heavy cream and the egg to a small bowl. Beat well.
10. Brush top crust with egg wash and top with turbinado sugar.
11. Bake 55-65 minutes on the air rack with a lined baking tray underneath.
Chef's tip: Make sure to cool the pie completely before slicing! Enjoy!
This recipe is adapted from Erin Jeanne McDowell’s Book on Pie
Leave a comment