2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ cup Guinness beer
¾ cup heavy cream
¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese
2 to 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
4 slices rye bread
8 slices bacon, fully cooked
1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
4 eggs, fried or poached
Small heavy bottom sauce pot
- In a small heavy bottom pot, combine butter and flour. Cook for 2 to 3 minutesuntil lightly toasted.
- Whisk in Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Whisking quickly, add in Guinness. Bring to a simmer and whisk in cream. Bring back to a simmer and whisk until smooth and bubbly.
- Add in cheese and a few dashes of Tabasco, remove from heat, whisking
continuously until all cheese is melted.
- Toast rye bread until desired level of crispness is reached.
- Layer a tomato slice, two slices of bacon, and an egg onto each slice of toast.
- Generously top each layered toast with rarebit cheese sauce. Top with minced chives.
Chef’s Tip: This delicious beer-cheese sauce is excellent served with warm pretzels or fresh bread for a simple hearty snack!